But practically speaking, students also have to learn how to skim, so that they have time to read everything they’re assigned in college and beyond.
What should (and shouldn’t) students be practicing when they read to be college ready?
Gretchen and Megan discuss a number of tips including:
- how to use audio books to support reading
- the most important skill in learning how to skim
- how to get the overall picture of what you are reading
- the importance of thinking about what the learning objective is from the reading assignment
- the differences between reading a textbook (with lots of headings and subheadings) and a nonfiction book with no headings at all
- and more!