(This episode originally aired in March 2018)
The national average of number of AP classes taken by students admitted to top universities is five to eight total. That’s a lot!
Deciding whether to take (or not take) Advanced Placement classes is more complicated that simply taking as many tests as possible.
In this episode we discuss in detail the following considerations:
- The importance of students choosing an appropriate level of challenge
- The fact that AP classes (and the AP exams) can push students to learn at a higher level, which is great prep for college!
- How to think through your priorities when considering AP
- What does your family hope to get out of an AP class– higher learning, AP credit, boost to school GPA / rank, better teachers, taking class with peers, etc.
- What are your alternatives?
- What will the student have to give up to take these classes?
- How to monitor appropriateness (grades, time spent studying, mental health)
- When to go for it, and how to step down if you realize it’s too much